The regional unit of the National Veterinary Institute (NVI) in Murska Sobota carries out professional, operational and developmental activities in the field of animal disease diagnostics and the healthcare of domestic animals, game, fish and bees.
NVI Murska Sobota
The unit carries out activities in the field of fish and bee health for which it performs clinical examinations and sampling of bees and farmed and free-range fish shoals. It also dispenses medicines and provides education for animal owners.
It also carries out the activity of determining the cause of death and the removal of animal carcasses.
Employees at the unit hold training sessions for both animal owners and the needs of various breeding societies and interest groups.
The unit also carries out research work in the field of pathology and the healthcare of bees.
Healthcare of bees
The unit carries out the following professional, research and advisory activities:
- sodelovanje z drugimi strokovnimi inštitucijami v čebelarstvu
- monitoring the health of bees and carrying out clinical examinations
- conducting on-site diagnostic examinations of bees, colonies and debris for pathogens, sampling in the field and carrying out laboratory tests for the presence of pathogens of bee diseases
- issuing veterinary medicines for the treatment of bees with written instructions and expert advice
- education of beekeepers and other interested public
- issue of certificates for movements of bee families (trading in bees)
- preparation of professional bases for planning and monitoring of measures in the healthcare of bees
- cooperation with other professional beekeeping institutions
Most services are free of charge for beekeepers. The unit is proud of its apiary in a location where it monitors the development of bee families and carries out various research tasks and practical workshops for beekeepers.
Determining the cause of death
The cause of death is determined on the request of animal owners, veterinary services, official veterinarians and other interested persons. Samples are taken for further diagnostic examination when necessary. Information on the circumstances of the death is very important for the diagnosis and course of the dissection. Identifying the cause of death and taking appropriate action helps to prevent the spread of disease among animals as well as the transmission from animals to humans, thereby reducing economic damage and providing for human health.
Veterinary hygiene service
The unit has an organised veterinary hygiene service, where, in the area it covers, it removes dead animals and transports them to the cadaver collection point and takes care of their harmless destruction. From the point of view of preventing the spread of the disease to both animals and humans, this service is of the utmost importance as removal eliminates the source of the potential infection. It is also an important aspect of protecting the environment, as removing dead animals prevents water, soil and feed contamination.
National Veterinary Institute
Murska Sobota Unit
Noršinska cesta 35,
9000 Murska Sobota
Tel.: 02 521 19 91, fax: 02 524 15 59
Healthcare of Bees
Tel.: 02 534 82 18 ali 031 622 730
Veterinary Hygiene Services
Tel.: 02 532 14 71