The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine strives to ensure that veterinary doctors receive training that meets the expectations of the veterinary profession in Europe in the areas of animal health, animal welfare and public health, including the care of food safety and the prevention of the spread of infectious diseases.
The photo above is a conceptual design image of the new premises of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. More about the project at the following link.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine is committed and responsible for creating new generations of veterinary doctors ready for the challenges ahead, developing new methods of disease recognition and treatment, and providing comprehensive services to ensure animal welfare, animal and human health, safe food and the environment.
We want to be one of the most reputable, well-known and internationally recognized veterinary institutions in Europe, known for the knowledge, skills and ethical standards of the veterinarians we educate, as well as dedicated teaching, research and professional staff. Through our activities in the national veterinary network, we want to actively contribute to social development, animal welfare, the provision of the concept of One Health and care for the recognition of the veterinary profession and profession in society.
- EAEVE accreditation
- ISO 17025 accreditation
- Acquisition of international research projects
- Involvement in international infrastructure projects
- Publication of research findings in top international journals
- Increasing internationalisation of undergraduate and postgraduate studies
- Involving successful foreign researchers and educators in the work of the faculty
- Being an institution that sets standards of welfare and a code of ethics for the treatment of animals
- Continue state-of-the-art laboratory diagnostic and analysis activities within the National Veterinary Institute (NVI) and maintain high standards in delivering the concept of One Health
- Continuous training of employees to ensure quality work in all areas of activity
- Building a new faculty
- Connecting the faculty with other world-renowned institutions
- Respectful, ethical and highly professional knowledge transfer to the next generations
- Ensuring animal health and, consequently, human health
- Provision of safe food and consumer protection through the provision of state-of-the-art laboratory services and advice
- Ensuring the welfare and ethical treatment of animals
- Ensuring an open and respectful work environment for all employees
- Respecting and promoting creativity, professionalism and independence of employees and students
- Ethical and responsible conduct of research
Formation and Development
Modern veterinary medicine began to evolve with the establishment of the first animal science schools in the 18th century. The first two schools were established in France in 1762 in Lyon and in 1765 in Alfort. The third veterinary school, which significantly influenced the development of the veterinary profession in Slovenia, was founded in 1765 in Vienna. This institution was attended by civilian and military livestock doctors working in the territory of present-day Slovenia. In 1795 the Veterinary Chair was established at the Medical-Surgical Institute of the Ljubljana Lyceum, and in 1850 the Animal Husbandry-Training School in Poljane in Ljubljana began operating. The most important creator of the school was Dr. John Bleiweiss, who worked in various fields. Due of his political activity and commitment to Slovenia, he was known as the father of the nation in the 19th century.
After World War I the National Bacteriological Institute was established in Ljubljana in 1926, and following World War II the Veterinary Scientific Institute of Slovenia was established in 1946. Both are important precursors to today's Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. It was established by government decree on 12 June 1953 as the Veterinary Department of the Faculty of Agronomy, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine. In 1979 the Veterinary Scientific Institute of Slovenia merged with the Veterinary Department. The Law on the Establishment of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine enabled the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine to start operating as a higher education organisation on 1 January 1990. It was further defined by the Decree on Transformation (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 82/1994) as a member of the University of Ljubljana.
In 2001 the Veterinary Act stipulated that the Veterinary Institute of Slovenia should be affiliated with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and form a new organisational unit - National Veterinary Institute. This form of organisation significantly contributes to the higher quality of teaching work, and in addition rationally and effectively connects the most demanding activities of the small profession in a small country, which is recognised by renowned veterinary experts around the world.
The main activities of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine are the organisation and implementation of:
- programmes for acquiring university education in veterinary medicine
- scientific research and development work in the field of veterinary medicine
- activities of the National Veterinary Institute (according to the provisions of Articles 45 and 51 of the Veterinary Act)
- other operational and development activities for the smooth implementation of educational work (according to the provisions of item 6 of Article 52 of the Veterinary Act)
- Postgraduate programmes: PhDs and advanced study programmes and other non-formal postgraduate programmes in veterinary science.
The veterinarian on duty
Emergency veterinary assistance for dogs and cats and a telephone number of constant readiness.
NVI On-Call Service
List of staff on standby for purposes of control.
Samples are received at several locations throughout Slovenia. See where.
A wide selection of domestic and foreign professional literature in the field of veterinary medicine and other sciences.
Registration number, Activity code, Bank Account, Tax code.
Subscribe to our service announcements and helpful tips.